Detroit Metropolitan Airport - History of
The L.C. Smith Terminal is named after Leroy C. Smith, an engineer for the Wayne County Road Commission. He was county highway engineer from 1918 to 1956. Smith started his battle to build Metropolitan Airport in 1944. In 1951 the property was zoned for airport use. It was not until 1961, however, that all major commercial airlines switched from Willow Run Airport to Detroit Metropolitan. In 1974, the Berry International Terminal was completed as part of a $69 million bond issue. What is better known as the Northwest Airline Terminal, the J. M. Davey Terminal, was built in 1975, and named in honor of former Airport Manager, James M. Davey. Feb. 24, 2002 was the official opening date of the new Edward H. McNamara Terminal, the new home for Northwest Airlines .
SOURCE: Profile of a Metropolis pp. 295-401
The New Metro Airport