Plymouth Twp - When Did it Become a Charter Township?
- The general Township of Plymouth became the Charter Township of Plymouth on April 19, 1977.
- Established in 1827, Plymouth Township originally included Plymouth, and parts of Canton Township and Northville Township. The southern part of the township - Township 2 South - became a separate Township of Canton in 1834. In 1898 Northville Township also separated from Plymouth Township and that is when the borders of the general Township of Plymouth became established. It was roughly one quarter of its original size by this time.
SOURCE: The Story of Plymouth, Michigan: A Midwest Microcosm 977.43 H